Natural disasters, human-made disasters, and cancer. These are the things that you find yourself in the midst of recently through no intention of your own. It sucks. It hurts. And the events seem to pile on relentlessly. Even in the midst of these tragedies playing out in my life, you can find inspiration.
With a constant barrage of news and updates on the conditions of the people who have been harmed, it would be easy for you to focus on the bad. Instead, listen to the quiet, still voice that speaks to your soul so you can use these harsh situations to restore your optimism and hope.
How to be a healing presence
- You have limited opportunities to tell people you love them. Don’t miss one.
- You are stronger than you think you are. Be strong for someone in need and be in gratitude when someone else needs you to be strong for them.
- There is no manual that tells you how to live or how to die. It’s OK to make the rules up as you go, as long as you learn from your mistakes.
- You are connected to other people by virtue of your humanity. Respect and kindness are contagious, as are their opposites, so choose wisely.
- You’ll never understand the cause of all terrible things. But by supporting others in those hard times you bring inspiration and healing to their world.
Please, be present with the people and creatures you love. They’ll be better for the experience and so will you.
This piece first appeared on the author’s YourTango Expert Blog. It is reprinted here with the author’s permission.